Services we provide (and what we do to provide these services):
Note: provision of service is dependent on the availability of funds and sponsorships
The ME CFS Foundation South Africa is the only organisation in our country providing support for ME/CFS patients, their families and carers. In order to do this we are involved in a wide range of education and support programmes, providing access to information about ME/CFS and its co-morbid illnesses, and by advocating the interests of people with ME/CFS in government, medical and media circles.
- Raise Awareness
We raise awareness among healthcare professionals. We need to expand the existing network of medical practitioners to enable diagnosis and provide basic symptomatic treatment.
- We run public awareness campaigns and projects to educate people about ME/CFS and the challenges faced by ME/CFS patients, both diagnosed and undiagnosed as well as their families.
- We educate health care practitioners
Assist with basic necessities such as food, clothing, airtime, crutches, etc.
We counsel patients, loved ones and carers
We have a closed online support group - email firstname.lastname@example.org
Provision of health care and symptomatic treatment
- Provide Information
- We develop and keep updated, training materials based on cutting-edge scientific research on ME/CFS for use in the public and private health care sectors for the benefit of patients - we get our information mostly from overseas research institutions and ME/CFS organisations
- Being a repository of knowledge and resources for the benefit of patients, their families and carers, the medical profession and other interested parties
- We use social media and other platforms to advocate for the rights of patients with ME/CFS
- Building networks
- Building networks and form alliances with health care practitioners, ME/CFS communities, ME/CFS organisations globally, the government, research institutions, etc.
- We have started connecting with patients in other African countries.